Despite the many ways to bring more traffic to a blog or website, and a raft of books and articles on this subject, many bloggers and web authors struggle to get clicks for their content. So what is happening? And can we reset this and fix it?
Some of the basics of being clicked on and being found on the web is to simply have a basic plan, a good quality website or blog, and really good relevant and interesting content. Then of course, the blog or site has to be found and shared on social media.
First, some simple questions:
- What is your niche or topic in your content?
- Who reads that content in the world, your audience, is it popular?
- Is it attractively presented and shown? Is it easy to read on any device?
- Can you measure how well the content works, is read, seen, clicked and shared?
- Are you adding engaging graphics and artwork to illustrate your content? Is it “Friendly” ?
- Is it Actionable? Is the purpose to make a sale of a product or service, or achieve an objective?
What is your goal with this blog or website? Personal? Purely recreational or easy passive reading? Financially motivated? Educational? Political or religious? Dig down into your blog or website content and see what is at its core. Just being aware of what lies at the heart of your writing and content tells you a lot. It may even make y0u re-evaluate your content.
Some years ago I traveled on a cheap budget airline and was surprised after asking about a membership or flyer miles system, that no such membership existed. My question raised interest with other customers. Some years after I again used the same airline, and found it had started offering flyer miles and memberships to customers who flew frequently with them. Moral here is – If you don’t ask, then sadly you do not get.
If you track the obvious pointers based within the above questions, you will now doing the following:
- You will know what your niche is, and are aimed and directing all content to that “channel”. For monetizing a blog or website, channels become paths to various targets, such as reports, e-books, books,magazines, seminars, MP3 audios, videos, and other materials on the subject in which you specialize.
- You will know your audience, and are targeting readers or users of certain information or content you specialize in. The more exact and specific your content, the more you can monetize it.
- Your blog or website is attractive and responsive and can be read and enjoyed on every kind of device, PC, laptop, smartphone or tablet PC. So you should be using a WordPress, Weebly, Joomla or Blogger site theme. Most of these can be acquired freely on all those platforms. There are also other platforms.
- You can use either WordPress, Google or Weebly Analytics to check and measure how well your content is working for you, and how far you are reaching. Country by country, times visits to your content happen, what articles or content gets more clicks. Clicked content becomes shared via Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and Tumblr. Also Reddit and others like Stage32 can help, depending on your niche, and how graphics-friendly your content is.
- Your website or blog content is engaging due to additional photo-editing and logos or attractive banners, artwork, or infographics. This can be achieved freely using Pixlr, Photoshop, Xara, or Apps on the iPad or tablet PC’s.
- Your pages and content have a point and lead to an action – a decision to subscribe, or download or purchase or vote. The action might be be just an email subscription. An action is always leading to directing the reader or viewer to some location or purpose. It may be music or a book or a sample of something, or a complete product. It may include the words Join Now, Click Now, Sign Up, Click for yours – only 10 left, Start your Free Trial Now, Add to Cart, Start your subscription NOW, Call us. These are calls to action. Add your own one to your content.
So it is possible to get clicks for your content. Provide content in a well written engaging style (read other blogs and see how the professionals do it) and dress it up nicely in a pleasing theme and with good graphics, art or photos. If your content is really presented and optimized properly, you will be clicked on and shared around the web. Social media will pick your links up and you will get more traffic.
Friends you make on the web will also spread the word about your work, helping you further. Build up a network of friends and people who share your interests. They can tell you if what you are doing actually works or not. And they can suggest improvements. All it takes is people who believe in you. That’s how friendships begin and it is how audiences form as well. When your voice is important and reaches out to people, they will respond. So start now and build up your blog, or website and soon you will get clicks for your content.